Subject: tip zombie production on i386..
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carsten Hammer <chammer@hermes.hrz.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1996 15:00:48
Hi,
did anybody experience tip to become a zombie process when accessing
a not connected/with a TNC connected serial port?

I did fiddle a bit with permissions to be able as non root to
use tip. Maybe i did something wrong. My understanding is that
zombies should never be generated even with wrong permissions..,right?

This is what i do:

tip ham

The this tip process can never be left. A kill produces a zombie.
This are my settings:

/etc/remote
ham:dv=/dev/tty01:br#19200:pa=none:

/etc/ttys
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  unknown off secure local rtscts

ls -l /dev/tty01
crw-------  1 uucp  wheel    8,   1 Sep 13 20:04 /dev/tty01

id
uid=100(chammer) gid=100(users) groups=100(users), 0(wheel), 7(bin), 117(dialer)

ls -l /usr/bin/tip
-r-s--x---  1 uucp  dialer  49152 Aug 13 21:03 /usr/bin/tip

more /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,chammer
daemon:*:1:daemon
kmem:*:2:root
sys:*:3:root
tty:*:4:root
operator:*:5:root
bin:*:7:chammer
wsrc:*:9:
games:*:13:
staff:*:20:root
guest:*:31:root
nobody:*:39:
utmp:*:45:
ingres:*:74:ingres
dialer:*:117:chammer
nogroup:*:32766:
users:*:100:

So, i am sorry if i caused this error by changing the netbsd default
permissions but they did not work for me (could not use tip as 'chammer').
Please be kind and help me to set things up correctly if possible.

Does anybody have experiences when using netbsd for packet radio?
How do i have to setup a tcpip connection via packet radio?

thanks,
Carsten