Subject: Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903
To: Andrew Gillham <>
From: Chris G Demetriou <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1996 01:02:32
> On the other hand, hard-coding
> the buffer cache can be real a pain when you pull out some RAM and don't
> change the kernel!  (ouch! I've been there)

And, it's a real pain when your SCSI controller fries so you have to
yank it and replace it with a different one...

Same with your ethernet...

All of these are really just degenerate cases of "changing hardware
without a GENERIC kernel handy can be a total lose."  My solution?  If
i'm not running a GENERIC kernel as my regular kernel, I keep a
GENERIC kernel around, typically in /gennetbsd...  (yes, if you've
been reading other mail i've sent to this list, you'll realize that i
typically keep between 4 and 7 kernels in / per development
machine.  10MB is cheap compared to taking the time to move disks
around. 8-)