Subject: Big-endian and little-endian FFS file systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1996 16:22:03
There was some discussion about this a while ago in the current-users
list, and the consensus seemed to be that we should, one day, have
explicitly big-endian and little-endian FFS filesystems so that we
could share filesystems between, say, i386s and Sparcs. This was
only of theoretical interest to me at the time, but since my
acquisition of a Jaz drive, it has now become of practical interest
as well.

Is anyone currently working on this? I'd be happy to help test code.

Curt Sampson		Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.