Subject: Re: Gravis Ultra P&P...
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1996 19:03:18
In Message <9609112222.AA14382@cthulhu.spd.analog.com> ,
   Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com> wrote:

=>
=>>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:26:31 -0400
=>>From: "Andrew K. Adams" <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>
=>
=>>I have a P166 w/Tyan motherboard (4 PCI, 5EISA slots) and am running
=>>1.2_BETA as of mid-august.  I received a Gravis Ultra Sound Plug &
=>>Play card and installed an additional 8Mb of RAM (yes, it's sick),
=>>however I am not able to get NetBSD to probe the card.  I installed
=>>the Gravis software and configured the card in DOS to be at I/O port
=>>220, IRQ 15, DMA channel 7 and record at 5.  There is also a roland
=>>emulation which I set to be at I/O port 330 and IRQ 9.  The DOS setup
=>>utility was able to succesfully test the 8Mb of memory...for whatever
=>>that is worth.  I have configured my kernel with the following line:
=>
=>>gus0    at isa0 port 0x220 irq 15 drq 7 flags 5 # Gravis Ultra Sound \
=>>(flags is record drq for full-duplex)
=>
=>>This setting is not showing up in dmesg.  If someone was successful at
=>>getting NetBSD to recognize this GUS card, I would very much
=>>appreciate help.
=>
=>NetBSD doesn't yet support Plug-and-Pr^Hlay.  If your momboard lacks a
=>PnP BIOS (which would be odd, because a P166 board should be
=>relatively recent), then the card will never show up on the ISA bus
=>unless it's been configured via some kind of PnP driver.

   I'm in a very similar boat. I've gotten the board to probe once
after configuring in DOS and letting it reboot, but it will not
probe on subsequent reboots. Unfortunately, I didn't even get it
to squeak when it was probed (with only 257K, when I have 4M), so
that's no good, either.
   I have a beta GUSPNP driver for FreeBSD that I've been looking
at, but in the limited amount of time I've given it I've so far
not managed to graft it into NetBSD. If anyone would like to give
me a clue as to how to get Voxware stuff linked into -current I'd
appreciate a note.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts