Subject: Re: Gravis Ultra P&P...
To: None <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1996 18:22:40
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:26:31 -0400
>From: "Andrew K. Adams" <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>

>I have a P166 w/Tyan motherboard (4 PCI, 5EISA slots) and am running
>1.2_BETA as of mid-august.  I received a Gravis Ultra Sound Plug &
>Play card and installed an additional 8Mb of RAM (yes, it's sick),
>however I am not able to get NetBSD to probe the card.  I installed
>the Gravis software and configured the card in DOS to be at I/O port
>220, IRQ 15, DMA channel 7 and record at 5.  There is also a roland
>emulation which I set to be at I/O port 330 and IRQ 9.  The DOS setup
>utility was able to succesfully test the 8Mb of memory...for whatever
>that is worth.  I have configured my kernel with the following line:

>gus0    at isa0 port 0x220 irq 15 drq 7 flags 5 # Gravis Ultra Sound \
>(flags is record drq for full-duplex)

>This setting is not showing up in dmesg.  If someone was successful at
>getting NetBSD to recognize this GUS card, I would very much
>appreciate help.

NetBSD doesn't yet support Plug-and-Pr^Hlay.  If your momboard lacks a
PnP BIOS (which would be odd, because a P166 board should be
relatively recent), then the card will never show up on the ISA bus
unless it's been configured via some kind of PnP driver.

Some BIOSes have an option to disable Plug-and-Pr^Hlay configuration;
if yours has such an option, make sure that BIOS PnP configuration is
enabled.

Try warm-booting into NetBSD from DOS, and see if that helps.  PnP
configuration should survive across warm boots.

You may also want to avoid using IRQ 15, because it's the secondary
IDE IRQ.  If you only have one IDE interface in your system,
nevermind.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>