Subject: Re: Question regarding source tree
To: None <>
From: Mike Long <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1996 10:08:15
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 06:59:07 -0700
>From: "Gerald C. Simmons" <>
>I've been upgrading from NetBSD-1.0 to 1.2 as of late, and have question about
>the source tree. I'm just curious. I thought that all the architecture
>dependent code live under sys/arch/(xxx). What is the reason behind having
>some of this code under sys/dev?

Theoretically, all of the code under /sys/dev is machine-independent;
e.g. all of the drivers under /sys/dev/isa should be usable on both
i386 and alpha machines.  Some drivers (especially ISA ones) still
fall short of this ideal.
Mike Long <>     <URL:>
VLSI Design Engineer         finger for PGP public key