Subject: Re: SCSI CD changers supported?
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/1996 19:56:56
On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>   Since your DRM-610 does not accept the LUN in the IDENTIFY message, it
> may very well not accept the IDENTIFY message period [I have a Chinon
> CDROM drive that does that].  If the device does not accept or honor the
> IDENTIFY message, it won't be able to disconnect from the bus while the
> device is busy, and nothing else can use the SCSI bus at that time.

I have no idea what it does or doesn't do with this IDENTIFY message,
but I do know that one of the DIP switches on the back selects whether
the drive should do disconnect/reconnect or not.  I have it set to do
this.  Is the problem that the SCSI driver doesn't know that the drive
can do it?  That the lack of support for IDENTIFY keeps the driver
from telling the drive to do disconnect/reconnect, and the drive won't
do it on its own until it knows that the controller and/or driver can
handle it as well?  (Can you tell I'm guessing, here?)

If the drive has support for disconnect/reconnect, but not for this
IDENTIFY message, might there be an old (SCSI I) alternative way of
doing it?  I'm all ears if anyone has good suggestions!

-tih
--
nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost