Subject: Re: hardware check in /etc/rc.local?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1996 15:51:02
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> Jason R. Thorpe wrote:
>  >
>  > this is pretty cool, but it breaks on systems that preserves the kernel
>  > message buffer across reboots (i.e. most ports :-)
>
> Not to mention that it assumes you've booted /netbsd and not /onetbsd
> for example or /netbsd.known.good.kernel.1.  Though arguably this is
> something that should be fixed elsewhere.

True enough.  My idea is for a "server" type machine that may be rebooted
occasionally, or may spontaneously reboot.  If anything is different,
the dmesg output would be an indicator.  I realize that booting a
different kernel would result in problems, but I believe booting multiuser
with that scenario would likely have errors with dev_mkdb and kvm_mkdb
and/or anything with libkvm.  Anyway, I don't know of anyway to figure
this out via a section in /etc/rc.local without libkvm and/or kernel
support.

-Andrew