Subject: Re: Another take on lkms and dynamic loading...
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1996 13:57:02
On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, David Gilbert wrote:

> 	I havn't seen anyone suggest yet that many of these systems
> and modules could be moved into user space.... reducing the security
> hole while retaining the functionality.

How would this affect performance for our current modules? I know
that Windows NT benchmarks noticably slower than NetBSD on various
programs (such as web servers) because of the greater number of
protection mode switches due to having large chunks of the kernel
running as user processes.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.