Subject: Re: SCSI CD changers supported?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1996 09:25:57
On Aug 30,  2:55pm, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:
} > > I've been trying to figure out how to get a Pioneer DRM-610 to work
} > > under NetBSD/i386.  It's an old SCSI1 CD player, with a magazine that
} > > holds 6 disks, and hardware that can load one of them at a time into
} > > the player proper. It presents itself (probably erroneously) as having
} > > a full complement of 8 LUNs, but whichever of them I mount, I get the
} > > CD from the first slot of the magazine.
} >
} > I suspect this might be a buglet in the CD-ROM.  Many seem to report
} > multiple LUNs when they really are only at one.

  If the drive doesn't accept the identify message, it would require the
LUN to be specified in the SCSI command.  My Chinon CDROM does that and
I suspect a number of the other drives in the quirks table do the same
thing.

} Hmm. Quite some time ago we had such a drive here. If I remember correctly,
} the selection of the CDs from the various slots was indeed done via the LUN.
} If they didn't change the firmware, it's quite likely that using the "ch"
} driver will not help.

  My guess would be that if the drive is old, it may require the LUN to be
present in the SCSI command instead of the identify message.  I don't think
any of the drivers do this - I did have the amiga SCSI drivers doing that
for a while, but removed it to be consistent with the other ports.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant