Subject: Re: [post-1.2] scsibus attachment changes...
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1996 08:42:48
>> Chris Demetriou sez:
>> #
>> # [ this will only apply after the -current tree goes back to mirroring
>> #   the revision control tree trunk, i.e. some time after 1.2 is
>> #   released. ]
>>
>> "...after the -current tree _goes back to mirroring_ the revision control
>>  tree trunk..."
>>
>> Are we now in release position for 1.2, or is this still a way off?
>
>So, let's see...
>
>The release process was officially kicked off on May 6.  The release
>process lasts 8 weeks.  That means that NetBSD 1.2 was released about
>a month and a half ago...  didn't you notice?!  8-)
>

>In all seriousness, I have _NO_ idea.  I've not heard _anything_ about
>the status of the release process since i got back from my vacation
>(and my return occurred in the first week of this month).
>

>Do I think it's absolutely ridiculous to keep users completely
>uninformed about the release process?
>
>        YES.
>
>Do I think it's absolutely ridiculous to keep _DEVELOPERS_ completely
>uninformed about the release process?
>
>        YES.
>
>Do I think it's ridiculous to keep the 'trunk' locked up during the
>duration of the release process for this long?
>
>        YES.
>
>Do I think it's sad that the release process is this long when
>there will be features in -current immediately after 1.2 is released,
>which will make the "stable" 1.2 release immediately obsolete for
>some classes of users?
>
>        YES.
>

>chris

As a user, not a developer, I remind all of you of the 1.1 release, mac68k
version. The release was broken to the extent that it wouldn't run. It was
essentially not useful, and ever since, new users have been perplexed by
it, and had to be directed to use something newer.

No amount of delay (well, almost no amount of delay) is too long if it
prevents this from happening again.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                          Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                          email bsalai@servtech.com
Rochester, NY 14614