Subject: Re: An annoying failure I've seen a lot of.
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1996 09:42:41

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:43:10 -0700
>  Rob Windsor <windsor@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>  > > ./linux.x86: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
>  >
>  > >From what I remember, linux and SVR4 compat isn't working right when you
>  > try to use both.
>
> If I recall, this can also happen if the Linux dynamic linker can't be
> found ... but I might be incorrect...

I changed the Compatibility options to leave SVR4 and only add Linux,
then fixed the emulation stuff (I had it in the wrong place).  Since I
did both, I'm not sure which one fixed the problem.

OK.  Stupid Question #1:

Why wouldn't this give a reasonable error message (like "dynamic linker
not found") or some other indication?  There is probably a
infrastructure reason I just can't see.

Stupid Question #2:

The purpose of this little exercise was to try and get Staroffice (a
Linux Office Automation suite) loaded and tested.  It is looking for a
Motif 2.0 library.  The authors don't want to sell it (or give it away).
They are considering building one that works with Motif 1.2 or
statically linking the library in.  Does anyone have such a beast (I'll
assume Linux/ELF format for a second) they can 'release', even for a
short while?

Stupid Question #3:

I also have a copy of Informix which provides me precisely the same
problem the Linux executable did (I love flea markets).   I
assume I will need to fill an /emul/svr4 directory with the same
stuff as I did for Linux.  Any insight on what I might need?  Do we
even support dynamic SCO executables?  Any sources on where to get
this stuff?  Am I going to have to add the COMPAT_SVR4 option back in?
Will the Linux stuff just make it work?  I'm going to try it tonight,
but any insight at all would really make my evening much more
productive.  If I get this working, I promise to write it up in the FAQ.
I promise.

I'm SO confused.  Not an unusual state: just uncomfortable.
--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom