Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1996 13:01:04
According to Michael Graff:

>"Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> writes:
>
>> It would be interesting to know how NT can allow you to do this yet
>> maintain C2 certification.  Hmmm.
>
>AFAIK, the C2 certification was an internal version of NT, and was never
>released to the public.  It is not the same version you buy off the
>shelf.

I had heard that it was 3.51 with a particular "Service Pack" (geez
everyone else calls them patches but not M$, this excludes IBM of
course who have their own ibm-speak for all things)

>Damned good marketing trick if that's the case.

IMHO it is a damn fine marketing trick.  I have heard that some places
have been sold on NT because it had C2.  The reality is that with NT
in C2 mode you get a nice island - no network, no other filesystems
apart from NTFS, from memory you have to remove the floppy disk and a
whole raft of other things.  I reckon that the C2 compliance falls
into the same category as the POSIX compliance.  It is a tick in the
box but the implementation sucks so badly that nobody in their right
mind would actually use it.

Anyone that feels the need to correct me, please do it privately -
this has strayed a bit from NetBSD ;-)

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.