Subject: Re: istrip (was Re: isprint())
To: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/1996 22:12:45
[ On Mon, August 26, 1996 at 16:07:49 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: istrip (was Re: isprint())
>
> Yeah, well, they also don't allow high-half characters in body text,
> either, and SMTP has been going more and more 8-bit-transparent.  You
> have to have some sort of out-of-band agreement on the character set,
> but that applies equally to bodies including high-half characters, and
> hasn't kept people from using them and finding them useful.  I see no
> reason to not extend the de-facto 8-bit-transparency we already mostly
> have for body text to header text as well.

There are two very good reasons -- MIME & ESMTP.  Nobody need ever do
8-bit SMTP and hope for some "out-of-band agreement on the char set."
We have every reason to tromp out the ill-advised 8-bit transparency
(and boy do I mean transparency) afforded by older SMTP servers.

Since MIME & ESMTP don't cover the headers, the other recommended means
are available and should be used (note also that they'll work even in
the absense of ESMTP, and possibly in the absence of MIME, depending on
the MUA).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>