Subject: An annoying failure I've seen a lot of.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/1996 20:21:56
I am tired of trying to find this myself.  If one of you could help, I'd
sure appreciate it.

Whenever I try to run an ELF or COFF binary, I get the following error:

./linux.x86: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

This one happens to be from the 'StarOffice' installation.  A 'file' in
linux.x86 confirms the following:

inst-files/linux.x86: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1

This has happened with nearly every ELF binary I've ever tried to run.
I have compiled the pertinent pieces into the kernel:

options 	SYSVMSG		# System V-like message queues
options 	SYSVSEM		# System V-like semaphores
options 	SYSVSHM		# System V-like memory sharing
#options SHMMAXPGS=1024	# 1024 pages is the default

options 	COMPAT_NOMID	# compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
options 	COMPAT_09	# NetBSD 0.9,
options 	COMPAT_10	# NetBSD 1.0,
options 	COMPAT_11	# NetBSD 1.1,
options 	COMPAT_43	# and 4.3BSD
options 	TCP_COMPAT_42	# TCP bug compatibility with 4.2BSD

options 	COMPAT_SVR4	# binary compatibility with SVR4
options 	COMPAT_IBCS2	# binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
options 	COMPAT_LINUX	# binary compatibility with Linux
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD	# binary compatibility with FreeBSD

What am I doing wrong?

--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom