Subject: Re: istrip (was Re: isprint())
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/1996 16:07:49
>> Yes!  Please!  I want working 8-bit chars in elm subject entry etc.

> Maybe during "entry", but note that RFC-822 and all subsequent
> related recommendations do not allow 8-bit characters in any e-mail
> headers.

> One reason for this is simply that there are too many possible 8-bit
> encodings of characters to "guess" at the right one.

Yeah, well, they also don't allow high-half characters in body text,
either, and SMTP has been going more and more 8-bit-transparent.  You
have to have some sort of out-of-band agreement on the character set,
but that applies equally to bodies including high-half characters, and
hasn't kept people from using them and finding them useful.  I see no
reason to not extend the de-facto 8-bit-transparency we already mostly
have for body text to header text as well.

					der Mouse
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D