Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: None <peter@wonderland.org, tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1996 12:36:07
Why not have everything as a hook to an LKM and just pull it in as soon
as it's needed?  Well, okay, almost everything...

Of course, if we were to head THIS direction, we should first make it
possible for the system to dynamically add a new device when it gets
connected, i.e.:

	berkeley# fsck /dev/rsd3a
	/dev/rsd3a: Device not configured

	CAN NOT READ BLOCK: 16

	CONTINUE? n

	Program terminated.
		((switch on drive sd3 here))
	berkeley# !!
	fsck /dev/rsd3a
		((driver re-probes for existence of sd3; discovers it and
		  sends a SCSI_MOTOR_START (or whatever))
	esp(0:3:0): Cybernetix Dinklephwat 4000 <13 heads, 8194 tracks, 2290 sectors>
	sd3 at esp0 target 3 lun 0 flags 0
	** /dev/rsd3a
	** Last mounted on /altroot
	Phase 1:  Check Blocks and Sizes
	^Cberkeley#

But I have a feeling the homicide rate in New York will go to zero before
this happens...

				--*greywolf;