Subject: Re: isprint()
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1996 21:35:40
> Ideally, the kernel would inherit this change; the behavior of stty
> lcase will be wrong otherwise, I [believe].

How _could_ the kernel know what some user process thinks constitutes
uppercase or lowercase?  And even if you grant that, arguendo, which
process's idea of "printable" should it use?

The only way I see to make this work at all is for the kernel to have
its own idea of what constitutes printable, lowercase, uppercase, etc,
and have some way for stty to load those tables, or at least switch
among a few compiled-in tables.  (Perhaps some of the commonest, such
as US-ASCII and ISO 8859-1, should be compiled in, with an escape so
stty can cause the kernel to allocate a block of memory to hold
arbitrary tables in case of something more esoteric.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D