Subject: Re: tunefs...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1996 08:44:50
> Is there any good guide to how to decide what numbers to feed
> tunefs/newfs?

Ummm...experience? :-)

> Is interleave good or bad?  How do I know?

Interleave, for a modern disk, is bad.  You want to set interleave
higher than 1 only when there is a bottleneck close to the disk, such
that bits come off the media fast enough to overrun something else.
For example, if you have a disk with a DMA engine that can't keep up
with the platter rotation speed, and no more than one sector of
buffering, you will need interleave > 1.  (Or at least such is my
understanding of interleave; I welcome corrections if I'm wrong.)

> (A similar one: Does making fewer inodes make a file system have more
> space for files?

Yes; the space that would be occupied by unused inodes becomes
available for data blocks.  However, each inode buys you only 128 bytes
of data space; you don't really gain a lot of data space unless you
have _lots_ of unused inodes.  You can probably gain more by pulling
your frag size down, since that frees up, on the average, half a frag
per small file, which is probably more than the extra bitmap size
required by smaller frags.  (Of course, you also can't have the
blk/frag ratio higher than 8, and the default 8k/1k achieves that, so
you probably can't shrink your frags without also shrinking your
blocks.  I haven't thought about it enough to know what effect
shrinking blocks will have.)

> Make it faster?

Trading inodes for space shouldn't affect speed significantly.
Shrinking frags and/or blocks will impair performance.

> I can't tell, but my filesystems rarely get above 20% usage of
> inodes, so if it's good, I could easily do it.)

Might as well, then; you won't get a whole lot of space, but you'll get
some.  How many inodes does the filesystem have?  This, plus the
128-byte on-disk size of an inode, should allow you to calculate about
how much space you'd gain.

					der Mouse
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D