Subject: Re: No timeouts? NFS problem...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1996 23:11:17
On Aug 12,  3:10pm, Peter Seebach wrote:
} Subject: No timeouts?  NFS problem...
} I have a pair of machines providing each other with nfs services.
} One was rebooted, and did not reexport filesystems, nor did it start
} mountd or nfsd.  (Not a problem, as I didn't need them any more.)
}
} Unfortunately, this made find, df, and umount all hang *permanently* on
} the other machine.  (Well, find from 12 hours ago in /etc/daily was still
} in D according to ps...)... They did *not* time out.
}
} They continued "correctly" as soon as I ran nfsd -tun 4 on the ex-server.
}
} Shouldn't nfs filesystems time out and get errors after some amount of time?

In my case I certainly hope not.  I don't want some job that's been running
for a week to croak because a fileserver was unplugged overnight.

			---  Truck