Subject: Re: PPP questions (ahem)
To: James Graham <>
From: Juergen Peter (aka bluen) <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1996 09:00:49
> From  Thu Aug  8 22:27:42 1996
> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:20:54 -0700
> From: (James Graham)
> To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG,
> Subject: Re: PPP questions (ahem)
> I was thinking about using pppd instead of getty myself, but I discovered
> that it was easier just to create PPP accounts and let them use
> /usr/sbin/pppd as a login shell.
> I set up work's portmaster to do dialback PPP and it worked like a charm.
> [If there is anyone having difficulties getting a portmaster to do dialback
>  PPP, let me know.]

Of course using pppd as a login shell can make it necessary for
the users, at least if they sometimes want to login at a real
terminal or the console, to have two accounts: one normal account
with a usual shell and the ppp account.

But it should be no problem for them to use their normal accounts
and setup their ppp startup scripts appropriately.

With unix-like systems the chat part of their ppp command should
somewhat look like

'chat ... ... "ogin:" "LOGINNAME_HERE"\
	"assword:" "\qPASSWORD_HERE" "_something that matches shell prompt"\
	"exec /path/to/pppd"

With tr*mpet winsock, it is similar. Sorry, but don't know about
Win-95, i.e. don't know how to do it, because I don't use it. But
I do know that it can be made easily - someone here at the institute
is using it.

Juergen Peter (| PGP encrypted mail is welcome.
Univ. Geb. 13, Postfach 151150,   |
66041 Saarbruecken                |