Subject: Re: PPP questions (ahem)
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1996 08:33:59
> > > I want to replace getty with pppd.
> >
> > Why not just make an account whose login shell is pppd?
> > That way getty can still deal with line setup, etc.
>
> This is exactly how we have set up our direct dial-in service.  The
> dial-in lines use getty as their 'ttys' entry and we use pppd as the
> 'ttys' entry for the out-going line.

BUt some people (who may want to support Win95 out the box or such)
will want the PPP protocol to start on connect and use PAP etc for
authentication. This is the only practical reason I can think of
to get rid of the normal getty/login authentication.

--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465