Subject: Re: PPP questions (ahem)
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/1996 23:51:50
> > Is there an option which would make pppd monitor the connection and drop
> > and restart it if it broken?
> I use
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 10
> which will drop the line if there are 10 consecutive LCP ECHO packets sent
> without response, 30 seconds apart.

I use this too (with shorter numbers; hey, LCP ECHO packets are small ;-),
but as I've mentioned, sometimes my router seems to go catatonic on me at
the IP layer but not LCP.  I also have a script which does a ping of the
router every 60 seconds and kills & restarts pppd if it fails 5 consecutive
tries (with, of course, a two minute grace period after the restart).
So far, it seems to work pretty well.