Subject: Re: 128Mbyte memory Pentium Pro problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 10:02:29
>> The reason that's not been increased in the the source tree is
>> because it leads to pages being wasted in unused pmap overhead if
>> you don't requre the additional address space, [...]

> If somebody's trying to install NetBSD at a new site, i.e. they have
> no other machine running on which to compile a kernel, saying
> "compile a kernel" won't help.  saying "pull out some memory, compile
> a kernel, then put them memory back" would help, but won't win many
> friends.

Seems to me the right thing in this case is "okay, you've got 128 megs,
but you can't use more than NN of them until you build a new kernel".
So you have to build a kernel in a machine with effectively just NN
megs, that's still okay...not as nice as the kernel automatically
handling any amount of memory, certainly, but acceptable.

					der Mouse
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D