Subject: Re: fsck issue
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 10:06:20
> Just a question which is bothering me for a while already.
> I want to perform a fsck on my hard drives w/o beeing forced to
> umount the partitions.

> Is it possible to temporarily lock the drives and then start fsck
> beeing able to write fixes?

Not at present AFAIK, and it can't really be done.  Imagine the case of
holding a file open but unlinked: according to fsck, that is an error,
and it (fsck) will blow away or relink the file.  But for a live
system, it is a perfectly normal condition.

You'd have to fix fsck to recognize what things that are errors for
unmounted filesystems are not errors for live filesystems and run fsck
with this (hypothetical) -live flag, at a minimum.  Given that, it
might be useful, but even then, you run the risk of fsck destroying
something the kernel is actively using.

					der Mouse
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D