Subject: Re: log files and rotation
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 03:43:09
> On the downside, my script doesn't have the kinda-cool config file that
> lets you rotate files on bases other than once-a-month or similar.

I'd actually call that lack a feature.  8-)

Newsyslog's ability to rotate files at a certain size, and especially
that ability's use in the standard config is EVIL, EVIL, EVIL and BAD.

In my opinion (no humility claimed 8-), log files should be rotated at
well-known intervals (i.e. daily, every two days, weekly, or
whatever), at well known times, and only at those times and intervals.

You need that to be able to tell, from a given date/time, what
activity went on then.  I'd also say that the default rotation sizes,
given their existence at all, are way too small...

Unfortunately, nothing run from cron can really do what I want
(since if the system is down for a day, i.e. cron is not running,
the jobs for that day won't happen, and i want rotation to happen in
this case immediately after system startup).

Newsyslog actually gets part of the way there, but it has the annoying
property that the rotation times can wander around the clock.  For
instance, let's say that the machine is down for 1 hour every day,
starting right before the log should be rotated.  it'll be rotated
not too long after the machine comes back up... but the time that the
log will be rotated ends up moving back one or two hours per day...
"evil!"

chris