Subject: Re: Item of future thought: disklabels
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1996 15:12:25
According to Scott Reynolds:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Brett Lymn wrote:
>
>> Why not just noffs (network order ffs)?  That way you would not need
>> to worry about be/le, you just mount it...
>
>Aieeee!  And alienate the i386 user base?! (Among others...)

Ahhh but big endian reads so much better in a hex dump! (says he with
a PentiScum at home....)

>I hope I am misunderstanding you, and this is just an optional filesystem
>in addition to the native byte order ffs. :-)

That was my intention.  Apparently others want the capability of being
able to salvage a file system on a non-native architecture, sounds
like a nice thing to have....

I must admit I was thinking more of a file system that was
architecture neutral for data exchange than data recovery.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.