Subject: Re: Item of future thought: disklabels
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1996 18:31:24
> The only problem is that you can't share NetBSD FFS partitions
> between ports with different byte order. :-(

I'd like to see a byte-swapped FFS, for this among other things.  It
surely wouldn't be all that difficult to do (though I suppose I
shouldn't say this without looking at the code first!), and dealing
with other-endian filesystems is one of those cases where you don't
give a damn about performance hits, you just want it to work.

Of course, it should be a kernel config option, like most of the
filesystems, so people who have no use for it and want their kernels
lean can get rid of it.

I'm not sure whether I'd rather see beffs and leffs (one of which is
always identical to the native ffs), or just bsffs which is swapped
from the native order.  I could marshal arguments either way, and would
be content with either.  It may even be possible to do them all with
minimal overhead with a little trickery at kernel build time.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D