Subject: Re: PROBLEMS AND SUGGESTIONF FOR CONFIGURING SWAP ON 1.2_BETA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1996 13:30:02
>>> machines that have SCSI interfaces on non-SCSI ready machines?  Is
>>> there a way to override this warning, short of hacking config to
>>> simply issue it as a warning?

>> Actually, while this might be a good idea, it's a semantic
>> inconsistency as far as config(8) is concerned... config(8), as a
>> rule, doesn't allow any use of a device that isn't configured...

> Hmm, I don't quite get this.  I think that config(8) should very well
> be able to configure a kernel with SCSI interface on a machine that
> does not have one.

I think the issue here is that someone said "config ... on sd0..." and
config complained, not because the machine it was running on didn't
have sd0 (heavens!), but rather because the config file in question
didn't have sd0.  I don't think an sd* line is enough, though I haven't
checked.

In the absence of a copy of the config file in question, though, about
all anyone can do is guess.  If the original poster would care to mail
me a copy of the config file privately, I'd be glad to have a look.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D