Subject: Re: PROBLEMS AND SUGGESTIONF FOR CONFIGURING SWAP ON 1.2_BETA
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1996 10:21:10
On Jul 24,  5:42pm, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Subject: Re: PROBLEMS AND SUGGESTIONF FOR CONFIGURING SWAP ON 1.2_BETA
> On Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:13:51 -0700
>  buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Buhrow) wrote:

[...]

>  > 	On another note, is anyone working on the ability to dynamically add
swap
>  > devices to the kernel?  Sometimes it would sure be nice to be able to just
>  > add some swap without having to go to the trouble of remembering to
>  > configure in a couple of vnds for swapping.
>
> Someone has been working on that for some time.  He got an initial whack
> at it almost working.  He ran into a stumbling block, however.  I don't
> know the current status of it... perhaps he can give us an update (since
> I know he's probably going to read this :-)

I know I wasn't the person Jason was talking about, but I have been playing
with this although I have been rather sidetracked by hacking the X server for
the arm32 port (having missed the 1.2 kernel feature freeze, etc). The current
state of my stuff is that adding swap after boot almost works with the
following caveat. Once you start using swap space you 'freeze' your swap
configuration until you reboot. Truely dynamic swap configuration is a little
way off (unless you know different). I should finish my current bout of X this
weekend so I'll get back on the swap case if people think its important.

Cheers

Rob Black