Subject: Re: PROBLEMS AND SUGGESTIONF FOR CONFIGURING SWAP ON 1.2_BETA
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1996 17:42:26
On Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:13:51 -0700
 buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Buhrow) wrote:

 > When I went to build a kernel on a penteom with an IDE interface, I used a
 > line of the form:
 > config netbsd root on wd0 swap on wd0 and sd0 and vnd0 and vnd1
 >
 > 	When I configged the kernel, I was told that there was no sd0
 > configured.  This is corect, but shouldn't one be able to build kernels for
 > machines that have SCSI interfaces on non-SCSI ready machines?  Is there a
 > way to override this warning, short of hacking config to simply issue it as
 > a warning?

Actually, while this might be a good idea, it's a semantic inconsistency
as far as config(8) is concerned... config(8), as a rule, doesn't allow
any use of a device that isn't configured...

 > 	On another note, is anyone working on the ability to dynamically add swap
 > devices to the kernel?  Sometimes it would sure be nice to be able to just
 > add some swap without having to go to the trouble of remembering to
 > configure in a couple of vnds for swapping.

Someone has been working on that for some time.  He got an initial whack
at it almost working.  He ran into a stumbling block, however.  I don't
know the current status of it... perhaps he can give us an update (since
I know he's probably going to read this :-)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --
Jason R. Thorpe                                      thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center                              Home: 408.866.1912
NAS: M/S 258-6                                         Work: 415.604.0935
Moffett Field, CA 94035                               Pager: 415.428.6939