Subject: Re: Strange PPP behaviour during file uploads.
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1996 08:49:17
>On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
>> I can do stuff where I go out, but most of the traffic is coming in
>> (telnet, ftp, sup, etc.) on my NetBSD box.  But, when I try to telnet
>> in from the Internet (where most of the display traffic is going out
>> from my box), I get horrible lossage.  Lots of many-second hangs,
>> modem hang-ups, etc.

>In addition to verifying that flow control is being used (check both the
>modem and system configuration, _and_ the cable), you may find it useful
>to disable RFC1323 TCP options.
>	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

Actually, I've tried the rfc1323 thing and no deal.  It's my modem on
both ends, so I *know* that is set up correctly.  Good point on the
cable -- that's not mine; I should check that.  I'll bug the guy who
maintains the Portmaster and have him check again (I already had him
check it about a month ago, so...).

Also, at Iowa State we had trouble where dialing into a Xyplex
terminal server we could get just fine performance with down/in-
coming traffic, but try to ftp a file up/out to a machine on the other
side, and it was almost impossible.  It turned out that a buffer
setting was way too small on the Xyplex.  Once that was changed, both
directions worked just fine.  So, that might be worth checking,
too....

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.