Subject: Re: Strange PPP behaviour during file uploads.
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1996 22:48:24
>I have been running NetBSD-current for some time, and recently noticed
>an odd situation.  I was FTPing a file from one part of my ISPs LAN to
[...]

>When I am transferring files TO cynjut, I generally have very few
>problems:  I regularly get transfer rates higher than 28.8K.
>When I transfer files FROM cynjut, I get good throughput for a while,
>then the modem just hangs up.  It redials, tries to connect and fails.
>The next time the modem redials, I get in just fine.  The transfer
>continues as soon as the PPP link is estabnlished and continues for as
>little as a second and as long as a couple minutes.  The cycle is then
>repeated (dies, dials, fails to log in, redials, connects).  The entire
[...]

In other words, you can receive files on such on your NetBSD box, over
the PPP link, just fine.  But, if you try to put/send stuff, it gives
you lots of lossage and hangups.

Have you tried telnetting in from the Internet?

I can do stuff where I go out, but most of the traffic is coming in
(telnet, ftp, sup, etc.) on my NetBSD box.  But, when I try to telnet
in from the Internet (where most of the display traffic is going out
from my box), I get horrible lossage.  Lots of many-second hangs,
modem hang-ups, etc.  I get this in /var/log/debug when it hangs up:

Jul 22 16:48:00 MindBender pppd[4635]: No response to 4 echo-requests
Jul 22 16:48:00 MindBender pppd[4635]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jul 22 16:48:06 MindBender pppd[4635]: Connection terminated.

Telneting in from work is almost not worth trying.  I usually get a
closed connection several times before getting all the way logged in.
Once I do finally get all the way in, the connection is very
"delicate", and can be broken easily by causing too much display
traffic.

I too have a Livingston Portmaster on the remote (Internet) end of my
link, though it is an older model.

Anyone with a clue about PPP and Portmasters care to enlighten?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.