Subject: Re: NEC CD-ROM Drive info & help needed
To: Erik Bertelsen , Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1996 22:03:26
On Jul 13, 12:41pm, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
} On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Jon Buller wrote:
} I have a NEC 210 double speed CD-ROM drive as well. I noticed as part of
} the documentation for my Adaptec 1515 SCSI card for the i386, I must
} disable parity on the SCSI controller to use this drive.
}
} This indicates to me that this drive has a known problem with parity, and
} that it probably cannot be solved by changing settings or jumpers on the
} drive itself.
}
} With parity disabled on the Adaptec 1515, this drive works with both dos
} and NetBSD/i386. When probed, the drive responds at all LUN's, and I guess
} that a quirk (is that the right buzz word??) to disable LUN's will be
} beneficial, but until now, I have not cared to look enough into the source
} text to formulate and try such a quirk.

I've heard enough reports about the flaky SCSI implementation in NEC
CD-ROMs that I'm avoiding them.

			---  Truck