Subject: Re: NEC CD-ROM Drive info & help needed
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1996 12:41:42
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Jon Buller wrote:

.. I have a 2x CD-ROM drive that my ELC reports as NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:2101.0
.. when I do a probe-scsi.  (Or when I run an inquiry command with
.. the pc532's ROM raw command.)  It works fine on my Mac/MacOS, but
.. when I move it to the pc532 and boot netbsd, the kernel spits out
.. line after line of "ncr0: parity error!" or something real close
.. while doing the probe.  The ELC's kernel does something similar:

I have a NEC 210 double speed CD-ROM drive as well. I noticed as part of
the documentation for my Adaptec 1515 SCSI card for the i386, I must
disable parity on the SCSI controller to use this drive.

This indicates to me that this drive has a known problem with parity, and
that it probably cannot be solved by changing settings or jumpers on the
drive itself.

With parity disabled on the Adaptec 1515, this drive works with both dos
and NetBSD/i386. When probed, the drive responds at all LUN's, and I guess
that a quirk (is that the right buzz word??) to disable LUN's will be
beneficial, but until now, I have not cared to look enough into the source
text to formulate and try such a quirk.

/ Erik Bertelsen