Subject: NEC CD-ROM Drive info & help needed
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/1996 22:09:39
I have a 2x CD-ROM drive that my ELC reports as NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:2101.0
when I do a probe-scsi.  (Or when I run an inquiry command with
the pc532's ROM raw command.)  It works fine on my Mac/MacOS, but
when I move it to the pc532 and boot netbsd, the kernel spits out
line after line of "ncr0: parity error!" or something real close
while doing the probe.  The ELC's kernel does something similar:

esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 87, step1] prevphase 6, ...
probe(esp0:6:0): MSG_MESSAGE_REJECT>>esp0: SCSI parity error
esp0: SCSI parity error

I am assuming that I need to put a jumper on the drive to enable
the parity bits, but I don't have any documentation on the drive.
Does someone have the address, or better yet, phone number of the
proper place in NEC to get that info?  Does someone out there already
have it, and could you send me a copy of what the 7(? I can't look at
it's innards right now) or so jumper blocks are for?  They are labeled
with the real useful information 1 2 3 4 5 6...

Many thanks in advance,
Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>