Subject: Re: install-if-change?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1996 21:40:53
On Sun, 7 Jul 1996 00:31:52 GMT
 christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:

 > I'd like to see is make rules that check if the target is newer.

To me, this isn't nearly as important as checking that the target is
_different_.  One thing I'd like, is to be able to avoid a re-link of
_everything_ when building the world, even if the C library doesn't
change (though make install in lib/libc will update the timestamp on the
library...)

Checking that the target is newer will break if one, for example, touches
libc after building it ... distaster strikes if libc actually needs to be
reinstalled...

Just some thoughts... :-)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --