Subject: Re: daily scripts...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1996 02:20:37
>Is there any *possible* point to having /etc/daily run fsck?  I mean, it
>can't fix anything, and no error it finds is significant, because there are
>*ALWAYS* errors before a sync(), or when the system is active.

I dunno...  I just commented it out and forgot about it.

>Why even bother?  What is the secret phrase which will clue me in to the
>reason behind this decision?

Although I do have it "fsck -p -n" once per week in /etc/weekly.  I do
this because I once had a hard drive slowly decay, and it exhibited
that it was dying by randomly losing data.  I don't want to go through
that again, so the weekly fsck at least shows me that things appear
normal if I have my machine up for a couple months without rebooting.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.