Subject: Re: sort manpage is obscure on this point
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1996 18:12:49
[ On Thu, June 27, 1996 at 20:44:26 (+0200), Wolfgang Solfrank wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sort manpage is obscure on this point
>
> This reminds me. Any reason to use GNU awk instead of the one true real awk
> that's in the 4.4Lite distribution in 4.4BSD-Lite/usr/src/contrib/awk.research?
> Probably, updated to a newer version from:
>
> http://inferno.bell-labs.com/who/bwk/awk.bun

I've mentioned my preference for mawk before, but I don't think I'd
seriously vote against the "One True Awk".  ;-)

I do strongly oppose GNU awk, and in fact have never found reason to use
it over any of the several other awk's that have long been available
(before bwk was able to pry the original away from the lawyers).  Not to
mention that my experience with trying to use gawk has always been
cluttered with bugs and very bad performance.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>