Subject: Re: Swapping problems (was: Re: 1.2 features, again)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1996 20:31:00
Michael L. VanLoon writes:

> If you're really fighting with VM problems on PCs, you might consider
> one other alternative.  I'm not in the habit of sending people way
> from NetBSD, but in this case, you might try giving FreeBSD a shot.

Nothing against FreeBSD, but I would consider this a last ditch
alternative. We want to stick with NetBSD if at all possible because of
the cross-platform support, the amount of time we have invested in
porting and building this and that odd piece of software (yes, I know,
there aren't a great many differences, and most software is ported to
FreeBSD before NetBSD anyway), and also for religious reasons (what
else?)

> Look at it this way: it's better than Linux or Solaris. :-)

You make it sound like trying to decide who to vote for in a
Presidential election.

> I don't think the VM stuff in NetBSD is going to get fixed in the very
> near future.

This seems like a serious enough problem that it should get some serious
attention (are I and the couple of people who empathized the only people
who ever swap?); I know it would be better to just install enough RAM
that the machines never have to swap, but we push them to whatever
limits they have, and sometimes go just over the physical RAM size no
matter how big we set it. I wish I had the time/energy/expertise to work
on the vm code myself. I have received mail from someone who said it was
on their list, though.