Subject: Re: (No Subject)
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Rob Healey <rob-healey@norstar.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1996 14:19:12
> Does anyone out here have any real numbers.  I have heard some excellent
> baselines so far (the most rigorous test "really screams, so-and-so told
> me") but nothing that would make me spend days and days rewriting the
> FAQ for an unsubstantiated one line change.

	Numbers no, experience yes. Up to a month ago Linux was pathetic when
	you put a REAL network load on it, as opposed to using it over a 28.8
	modem link. It died miserably when we tried to put 50 or so news
	feeds on it. NetBSD's mmap vs read/write problems didn't do too
	well either but FreeBSD screams in both network and disk I/O.

	I'd be willing to guess Linux networking screams in the quiet
	environment but degrades when put under heavy load.

	-Rob