Subject: Re: Swapping problems (was: Re: 1.2 features, again)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1996 10:56:45
On Jun 27,  9:07pm, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: Swapping problems (was: Re: 1.2 features, again)
>
> If you're really fighting with VM problems on PCs, you might consider
> one other alternative.  I'm not in the habit of sending people way
> from NetBSD, but in this case, you might try giving FreeBSD a shot.
>
> A few people there have been putting an extraordinary amount of work
> in on their VM system, and their merged VM buffer cache stuff is
> supposed to be a big win.  Just don't install FreeBSD-current right
> away, because they're going through some somewhat unstable teething
> problems with some more enhancements that John Dyson and Bruce Evans
> just got done incorporating.
>
> Look at it this way: it's better than Linux or Solaris. :-)  I don't
> think the VM stuff in NetBSD is going to get fixed in the very near
> future.

The biggest problem I've had with FreeBSD is the installer - one of the worst
cases of point-and-drool-with-your-hands-tied-behind-your-back that I've seen
in a long time[1]. Still, you don't have to use it that often and can avoid
most of it if you try hard enough.

Cheers

Rob Black

[1] For those of you interested my main complaints are about times when the
installer insists that you do (a) before you do (b) although you are redoing
(b) and know that you don't need to do (a) again.