Subject: Re: "Closed connection 1"...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1996 22:02:40
>We're beta testing a term server, and whenever it tries to telnet to a
>netbsd box, we get:
>Trying 192.129.84.17 ....
>Connected to 192.129.84.17
>Closed connection 1.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

It's probably biting it on the RFC1323 IP stuff.  Try turning it off:

	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

That's the behavior we saw on the Xyplex terminal servers at Iowa
State two years ago, when the RFC1323 stuff had just gone in to
NetBSD.  Except, when you glanced over at the card you had just tried
to connect to afterwards, you noticed that the "bad" packet had
actually crashed and rebooted the card!  Xyplex was very interested
and rushed out a patched version of the firmware for our testing
shortly thereafter, and incorporated the fix into the following
firmware.

I would be very disappointed at any vendor who hadn't fixed this by
now.  But, it sounds like the same behavior.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.