Subject: Re: config problem
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: NetBSD <netbsd@gate.ene.UnB.br>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1996 01:29:57
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >I have just installed NetBSD-curretn i386 on a machine which has two scsi
> >controllers. The first is a Buslogic 445C VL-bus with two barracuda
> >drives. The second is an ADAPTEC-1542CF ISA card.
>
> >Now that NetBSD has bounce-buffers everything should be fine but it
>
> Since when?  Did you apply an unsupported patch?  I haven't seen
> anything announcing bus-master bounce buffers in the official NetBSD
> distribution.

For the ISA bus, which needs it if your machine has more than 16 Megs,
take a look at isadma.c. I don't think bounce buffers are needed for any
other bus, at least not for EISA nor PCI.

> >inverts the autoconfig order of the devices so I end up having to wire
> >things on their right places.
>
> Inverts the order according to who?  What addresses are the cards at?
> I think the only way to guarantee their order *is* to hardwire their
> order.  Aside from that, I don't know of any guarantees about which
> order they'll probe in.  In fact, I believe the order will potentially
> change from version to version, as the autoconfig code changes.

Inverts the order of the probe according to the order of the lines in the
config file. It's not much use to have lines like "sd* at scsibus?" if
it's the same as playing russian roulette, i.e., depending on the version
you're using sd0 will end up as sd3 and, consequently, no boot drive.

If config doesn't generate the ioconf.c file with the device probe in the
same order as they appear in the config file, what's the reason?

Although the config man page says nothing about "probing according
to the order of appearance of devices in the config file" I presume that
is the most sensible action.

Any comments?

> Am I wrong in these assumptions?

?????