Subject: Re: bin/2567: Restore could really use lcd/lpwd functions as ftp has...
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/1996 10:13:19
[ What's the correct way to reply to a gnats-bugs mail message??
  I'm cc'ing this to current-users in case gnats-bugs bounces it]

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:34:12 -0700 (PDT)  Grey Wolf wrote:

> >Number:         2567
> >Category:       bin
> >Synopsis:       Restore could really use lcd/lpwd functions as ftp has...
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> >Release:        1.2_ALPHA
> >Environment:
> 	userland + libs: 5/24 + partial rebuild.
> 	kernel: 6/4 source
> System: NetBSD starjumper 1.2_ALPHA NetBSD 1.2_ALPHA (STARJUMPER) #16: Mon Jun 24 09:49:22 PDT 1996 greywolf@starjumper:/
usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/STARJUMPER sparc

> 	It would be nice if, when one started a restore in the wrong directory,
> 	one did not have to kill restore, reposition the tape, and restart
> 	the restore.  I have created code for functions "lcd" and "lpwd"
> 	which change and reflect the process' idea of the current working
> 	UNIX directory.  See patch at the end of this report.

One problem I think I can see is when you 'add' a file, the underlying
directory structure for that file is created.  If you lcd somewhere
else, this structure may not be there.

I guess you could defer making the directory structure until you start
'extract'ing...

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra.			+61 3 9634 3974