Subject: Re: Keith Bostic: MS Press Release - Common Internet File System (CIFS) (fwd)
To: None <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1996 16:10:13
According to Laine Stump:
>1) NFS uses Sun RPC which makes it difficult to get through a firewall
>in any kind of reasonable fashion without potentially allowing lots of
>other (non-RPC) stuff.

Uhhhh - IMHO no firewall administrator in their right mind should
allow NFS through (or on) their firewall anyway.

>Hype? Yes.

>Useful and a "Good Thing(tm)"? Also yes.

We shall see.  I expect this subject is going to get well and truly
thrashed on the firewalls mailing list ( in
the coming weeks.  My gut feeling at the moment is that CIFS is a
gaping, supperating hole.  Enough people have trouble setting up an
anonymous ftp account properly, I shudder to think what CIFS is going
to be like.

As I said, this will, undoubtedly, be bashed a lot on firewalls which
is the appropriate place for this....

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.