Subject: Re: tty0?
To: NetBSD <netbsd@gate.ene.UnB.br>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1996 22:20:56
>I can't seem to make my serial ports work. If I do an 'stty -f /dev/tty00
>clocal' and then a 'stty -f /dev/tty00' the clocal flag is not set.

Did you hold the port open between the two stty commands?  As soon as
the port closes it's going to go back to its default settings.  Try
this:

	sleep 60 < /dev/tty00 &
	stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal
	stty -f /dev/tty00

>If I launch an getty on the port, the stty command above works. As soon
>as I kill the getty process, stty doesn't work again.

That sounds correct.

>Tip doesn't work either. Ttyflags, on the other hand does work.
>I'm running the i386 port.

If I'm not mistaken, ttyflags changes certain defaults for the ports.

Did you try adding "local" to your /etc/ttys file?  I. e.

	tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100 off local

You might also want to add "softcar" if you don't have a real modem
(or a modem that doesn't assert carrier detect properly) on that port.
Do "man ttys" for more info.

>Any suggestions? Is there a problem with the com driver, tty code or me?

It sounds like the com port is working correctly.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.