Subject: Re: Install NetBSD over the top of Linux
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1996 06:24:58
> Actually you can boot and run linux without ever formatting a special
> filesystem for it. You can use something called the UMSDOS
> filesystem, [...]

Heh.  I remember once upon a time I hacked up a library of routines and
an include file for DOS such that, more or less, "include this file and
pretend you're on UNIX", at least for filesystem purposes.  Not as
thorough as what you describe, of course, since the programs were
running under DOS....

Actually, I'd prefer to see this as a stackable filesystem layer, so
that (for example) you can run a real filesystem on top of an NFS-mount
of a server that supports only 14-character filenames, or an NFS mount
of a DOS filesystem, or any such.  Another project for my copious spare
time....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu