Subject: Re: problems with 'route delete' - a bug?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1996 10:04:18
>I have a gateway machine (NetBSD 960413, i386) which has a weird problem
>with routing.  I route two subnets over two different PPP links.  When the
>PPP link dies, the route is not deleted and if I try to delete it manually,
>the system claims that the route does not exist.  When the PPP link comes
>up again, probably on a different ppp unit, a new route will not work
>because the old one still exists.

Do you have "defaultroute" in the ppp config for that port on your
gateway machine?  If so, remove it -- that's only for the client side.

I have also seen (like a couple years ago) problems with proxyarp.  If
you can avoid using proxyarp, that's probably a Good Thing.  The best
way to do that is to have the router know to send all packets destined
for a certain subnet to your gateway host (i. e. program it in the
router on that subnet).  Then, put all the machines on the other side
of that ppp link into that subnet.  Alias an address on that subnet to
the ethernet card in your gateway box.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.