Subject: Re: problems with 'route delete' - a bug?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1996 20:43:55
> Do you have "defaultroute" in the ppp config for that port on your
> gateway machine?  If so, remove it -- that's only for the client side.

No, my defaultroute on the gateway goes into another direction. ;)

> I have also seen (like a couple years ago) problems with proxyarp.  If
> you can avoid using proxyarp, that's probably a Good Thing.

I'm not using proxyarp either.

When the PPP interface is up, there are two routes in the tables:
- one route from the gateway to the remote gateway (a.b.c.2 to a.b.c.254
  which are on different subnets)
- one route to the remote subnet via remote gateway (a.b.d.0 via a.b.c.254)

When the PPP link dies, only the first route is deleted (the route between
the gateways).  The subnet route a.b.d.0 via a.b.c.254 doesn't go away and
this is the one that can't be removed manually, either.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---